The best infant sunglasses will keep your tyke looking like a baby A-lister. But, more importantly, they also protect little peepers from the sun’s harmful rays. Did you know that continuous exposure to the sun's rays causes damage to their eyesight over time? In addition to corneal sunburn, your child may be at risk for blindness without proper protective eyewear.
That's not all, according to the National Eye Institute, 60 percent of all damage to vision is caused by the sun. Therefore, choosing the best infant sunglasses is more about safety than fashion. But, that doesn't mean you have to sacrifice style. Today, there are more choices of high-quality shades than ever before. You'll have a blast coordinating styles and colors while knowing your infant's vision is safe and secure.
What To Look For When Choosing The Best Infant Sunglasses
With your infant's sight at risk, you can't just rely on any old pair of sunglasses. There are several traits the best infant sunglasses have in common. Invest in sunglass brands that offer the following features. Then, you'll never worry about whether your infant's eyes are safe from harm.
UVA HEV Blocking
The harmful effects of ultraviolet radiation and blue light are cumulative. Hence, exposure increases the risk of developing debilitating cataracts and sight-threatening macular degeneration. Therefore, look for sunglasses that promise 100 percent UVA and HEV blocking.
Accidents happen. Look for sunglasses with impact resistant lenses. Polycarbonate lenses are the most resistant to shattering, breaking, and scratching. Also, you can choose lenses with a scratch resistant coating.
Because light usually scatters in all directions, it doesn't always cause harmful glare. However, when light reflects off of flatter surfaces, it becomes polarized. Then, it creates a dangerously intense ray of light that makes vision uncomfortable and reduces visibility. Polarized lenses have a filter that blocks this type of light.
This feature is nice to have. However, it is not completely necessary. Spring hinges provide flexibility at the temple. This feature allows a great deal of clumsy pulling and grabbing without causing any damage. Though this feature costs more, it is worth considering when looking for the best infant sunglasses.
All the sunglasses on our list have this feature. Properly fitted frames with a strap ensure the sunglasses will stay put on your baby's face. If sunglasses come off too easy, they will not protect your little one's sight.
Top 5 Best Infant Sunglasses
To come up with this list of best infant sunglasses, we searched hundreds of reviews, paying close attention to product descriptions, brand reputation, and customer experience. All of the sunglasses on the list cost between $10 and $40. Lastly, we used Amazon as a convenient tool to compare. Here are the top six best infant sunglasses, in no special order.
- SAFE | Packaged, designed and tested in Miami, FL | BPA free protective polycarbonate frame and lenses.
- FUN TO WEAR | Soft, comfortable, removable and adjustable strap | Your baby will love them just as you do!
- PROMOTES EYE HEALTH | Our sunglasses were designed by Eye Doctors to ensure they will protect eye health. We use 100% UV protection, anti-scratch lens coating, reducing risk of long term eye damage and disease.
- GUARANTEED TO PLEASE | We stand behind our products and hope to ensure your complete satisfaction. If you ever have any issue with the product please return for a replacement.
- SHARE, LIKE AND SUBSCRIBE | Baby Solo is a small family business, and a growing community of parents. We focus on giving you the best products and information for you baby and toddler.
Baby Solo shades come in a vast array of colors and styles. From classic wayfarer style to contemporary band styles, you'll find the perfect fit for your kid's age newborn to toddler. All styles feature a wide band and contoured elastic strap. According to the brand's website, all Baby Solo sunglasses are BPA-free, made from a flexible material, and blocks 100 percent of UV rays.
The68 percent 5-star reviews. Customers love the colors and styles available. However, some users say that they run a little large.
- Durable, flexible (not to mention, stylish) frames
- Soft, comfortable, lightweight (no pinch) material
- Impact and shatter-resistant lenses
- 100% UVA and UVB protection
- Super safe for babies & kids- BPA and phthalate free
The COCOSAND Navigators fit newborns to 18 months. They come in several color and pattern combinations. The style is similar to classic wayfarers. Lenses are tested to block out 100 percent of UVA, UVB, and HEV rays. Finally, the fitted elastic strap ensures that the glasses stay put.
Also, if you are interested in another style, check out the round frames here.
- PROTECTS CHILD'S YOUNG EYES: Fashionable strap around sunglasses for babies / infants / toddlers boys and girls protect against harmful UV rays, rated UV 400. Shatterproof polycarbonate lenses block out 100% of both UVA and UVB damaging sun rays, which can lead to cataracts. Perfect for keeping children's eyes protected while outdoors.
- WHAT'S INCLUDED: Set includes kids sunglasses, two (2) stretchy and comfortable neoprene adjustable straps (1 small and 1 large strap) with a hook and loop closure for easy on and off, super cool and re-usable lightweight matching case with zipper closure
- GOGGLES ARE ADJUSTABLE AS THEY GROW: Small sunglass strap for 0 to 2 years. Large sunglass strap for 2 to 5 years, up to 21 inch head circumference. Easily switch straps as your child grows!
- SUNGLASS MEASUREMENTS: Lens width of 45mm, lens height of 27mm, bridge of 18mm
- Our baby sunglasses are a great gift for baby showers, newborns, birthdays, grandchildren! The perfect sun accessory for the beach, pool, any outdoor activity, and can even be used as snow goggles for the little ones. Pair with our Tuga swim sun hats and swimwear for ultimate sun protection.
The Tuga Strap Around shades feature an adjustable strap. Lenses are polarized and block high levels of UVA, UVB, and HEV rays. The gender-neutral shades come in bright colors like fuschia, green, purple, blue, and black.
They give high marks for the brand's quality and comfort. Finally, these come with a soft-sided molded zipper case.
These Baby Banz sunglasses are fashion-forward and high-quality. The brand tests lenses to ensure they block the highest amounts of harmful radiation. Lenses are shatter-resistant polycarbonate. Also, the frames have flex hinges.
Buyers remark that their kids love wearing these shades. Also, they say that the wrap around elastic fastener is comfortable enough for hours of wear.
- POLARIZED: So infants, babies and kids can all explore a big, bright world without damaging their eyes.
- BENDABLE: Our baby sunglasses are made from the same flexible material that's used for teethers. Chew on that.
- FASHION STATEMENT: All styles are designed to be gender neutral. They're equally cute and cool on a boy or a girl!
- SAFETY FIRST: 100% UVA and UVB Protection to protect your baby's eyes from the sun. BPA, Phthalate, and PVC free. Shatterproof Lenses too!
- EASY REPLACEMENT: Hipsterkid sunglasses are guaranteed. Break 'em, drop 'em, lose 'em, it doesn't matter! To redeem your free replacement, sunglasses must have been purchased within the past year and be registered on the Hipsterkid website. (US orders only; shipping not included)
Hipsterkid brand sunglasses are a classic oversized wayfarer and come in many different colors. The company's motto is safety first. Therefore, all Hipsterkid's lenses come with full polarization. Also, they undergo testing to make sure to protect your baby from UVA, UVB, and HEV rays.
Customers love the style and quality. Some buyers complain about oversized frames, while others prefer the style. Additionally, other complaints circle around pricing.
Best Infant Sunglasses Wrap-up
You take every precaution to ensure your infant's safety. Sunglasses are just one more way to do this. Plus, who doesn't love how cute babies look while sporting shades? However, remember, that sunglasses aren’t just a summer look — radiation all year round is just as dangerous.