Soldiers need and deserve only the best military sunglasses during deployments. With that in mind, we found the models that can accomplish that mission.
Unsurprisingly, soldiers face numerous eye hazards on the battlefield, such as explosives, harsh weather elements, sun glare, and other unforeseen risks. Therefore, when the lives and eyesight of America's finest are on the line, the best military sunglasses are essential to their protection.
What To Look For In The Best Military Sunglasses
First of all, the best military sunglasses should always comply with specific military ballistic standards. These standards include MIL-PRF-31013 (spectacles) and MIL-DTL-43511D (goggles). Specifically, the ANSI Z87.1 standard is used to rate safety eyewear for civilian use. However, eyewear certified under this standard is not always approved for military use.
To explain, eyewear approved for use by military personnel is listed on the APEL (Authorized Protective Eyewear List). Furthermore, the MIL-PRF 32432 Ballistic Fragmentation standard is similar to the ANSI 787.1 but has more stringent requirements.
How We Evaluated To Find The Best Military Sunglasses
First, we researched numerous online military forums to hear which sunglasses active and retired military soldiers trusted with their lives. Then, we cross-referenced customer reviews for each product to find only the best military sunglasses. Lastly, we based our final recommendation on the best customer feedback, prices, and warranty.
Here Are The Recruits
These five eyewear models meet or exceed ANSI Z87.1, MIL-PRF-31013, and MIL-DTL-43511D standards. Consequently, all models also offer features like fog protection and interchangeable lenses.
ESS Eyewear Cross Series Crossbow
- Tri-Tech Fit Black Frame(s)
- Clear and Smoke Grey Lens
- 100% UVA/UVB protection
- Compliant with U.S. Federal OSHA, ANSI Z87.1+, CE EN 166 and U.S. MIL-PRF-31013
- Universal Fit
The first recruit in our search for the best military sunglasses is the ESS Eyewear Cross Series Crossbow. These glasses feature:
One oil worker said these glasses held up during harsh 18-hour shifts on a dangerous oil rig. However, a firearms instructor said these glasses scratch easily.
Wiley X Vapor
The second recruit in our hunt for the best military sunglasses is the Wiley X Vapor. These glasses feature:
One customer said they were comfortable and offer fantastic protection. However, other customers complained that changing the lens was difficult. Furthermore, some customers complained that the glasses are not a good fit for smaller faces.
- Kit includes frame with adjustable arms, clear &smoke lenses, head strap, microfiber pouch, case with belt clip & reusable anti-fog cloth
- Lenses made of indestructible, optical grade polycarbonate that can be interchanged quickly for various light conditions and provide 100% protection from harmful UV-A, UV-B and UV-C rays
- Scratch-resistant coating on both sides of lens; resists wide variety of chemicals, including DEET
- Precision manufactured lenses ensure distortion-free vision, full side impact protection and anti-fog performance
- High velocity impact performance of the Sawfly System is 3-times greater than required by EN166 Clause 7.2.2 and AN SI Z87.1-2028
Next, the third recruit in our mission to find the best military sunglasses is the Revision Sawfly. These glasses feature:
One soldier validated this model's solid construction and adjustable fit. However, he pointed out that the nose pieces are very rigid and leave marks on the nose.
- Black Frame
- Clear, Smoke Grey and Hi-Def Yellow Lens
- 100% UVA/UVB protection
- Exceed ANSI Z87.1-2010 and the U.S Military .15 caliber ballistic impact test MIL-PRF-31013 (Clause 188.8.131.52)
- Medium-Large Fit
The fourth recruit in our campaign to find the best military sunglasses is the ESS Ice. This model features:
One customer said they are the perfect safety eyewear for shooting practice. However, another customer complained that their glasses fell apart when changing the lenses.
Oakley M Frame® 2.0 Standard Issue Ballistic With Lens Array
- Made in US
- Plastic frame
- Plastic lens
- 100% UV protection coating, Bridge: 130 millimeters, Arm: 135 millimeters, Case included, The m frame with the clear Lens provide optical protection from night and low light shooting. The nosepiece is in a position that will not obstruct vision, Clear
The final recruit in our pursuit of the best military sunglasses is the Oakley M Frame® 2.0. These glasses feature:
One soldier said he used these glasses on a combat deployment and they gave him stylish protection and excellent peripheral vision. However, another customer complained that the lens coating came off after wearing them a few times.
Here Is Our Pick For The Best Military Sunglasses
The ESS Eyewear Cross Series Crossbow series is our recommendation for the best military sunglasses. As an illustration, they have one of the best warranties and earn high marks from soldiers and civilians alike. Finally, we hope this information proved useful in your search. Also, if you're active duty or retired military, thank you for your service.
Featured Image via Pixabay