You’re having an amazing hair day. Your skin looks perfectly dewy and bright. You painstaking picked out the perfect outfit for what’s shaping up to be a beautiful, sunshine-filled day. But there’s one last box to check off your list before you start going about your day. You need a pair of the best sunglasses for round faces to complete your ensemble.
If you’ve ever gone shopping for sunglasses, you know firsthand how difficult finding the right pair can be. No matter how many pairs you try or how many times you spin the sunglass display, you often leave the store either empty-handed or disappointed that you had to settle for “good enough.”
Are you sick of settling? Are you tired of your sunglasses working against you rather than for you? If that sounds like you and you’ve got a beautifully curvilinear face, you’ve come to the right place because we've found the best sunglasses for round faces.
Sunglasses & Face Shape: What You Should Know
Who doesn’t want to look as incredible as our favorite celebrities in popular magazines? Impeccably dressed from head to toe, their enviable styles are clearly the product of fat wallets, right?
Actually, there’s a reason why celebrities look as good as they do: They know how to adapt their styles to accentuate their best features while camouflaging their worst. It’s how they pick their red carpet looks, their casual attire, and, yes, even their sunglasses.
Whenever you see someone looking incredible in a pair of shades, that person has strategically chosen a pair that complements his or her face shape. So when it comes to choosing your own sunglasses, the key is to pick the right style of glasses for your face shape.
Not every style of sunglasses works for everyone, which is why you need the best sunglasses for round faces if your face is round. If your face isn’t a complementary shape, even the most gorgeous, expensive sunglasses can work against you. The idea is to strike a balance. Ultimately, sunglasses look best when they complement a person’s face, balancing his or her features with contrasting frames.
In Men’s Journal, style writer Liza Corsillo wrote that the first step in finding the right sunglasses for you doesn’t involve shopping or trying on sunglasses at all. You need to determine the shape of your face so you can “complement the kind of face you have with an equal and opposite shape.”
How to determine your face shape
Choosing the right sunglasses for you means looking for a pair that balances your features. Easy enough, right? But how do you know what shape your face actually is?
According to a helpful YouTube video called “How to Pick the Perfect Sunglasses for Your Face Shape,” an easy way to determine your face shape is to trace your face as it appears in a mirror directly in front of you. (Use lipstick, a crayon, or a bar of soap so that you can clean off your tracing later.)
Once you trace your face, you can determine your face shape by assessing the shape you traced on the mirror.
How to measure your face
If you want to be more scientific, Liza Corsillo suggests actually measuring the tracing of your face to determine your face. You can take four measurements that are helpful, including:
To measure face height, you want to measure the length of your face. To do this, start from the center of your hairline and measure to the middle of your chin.
When you measure your forehead, make sure you measure your forehead at its widest part. Additionally, you should measure from side to side rather than from top to bottom.
For a cheekbone measurement, you want to measure the horizontal distance from one cheek to another. Make sure to start just below the outside corner of each of your eyes.
Finally, measuring your jawline requires you to measure from just below one of your ears at the start of one side of your jaw, continuing to the end of the other side of your jaw beneath your other ear.
Face shapes by dimension
Once you’ve taken these measurements, you can get an idea of how your face is shaped. According to Corsillo, the options are as follows:
Rectangular faces are faces where face height is the biggest measurement. With rectangular faces, the cheekbones and jawline are similar sizes. This face shape is comparable to oval faces but has more angular jawlines.
Round faces have equal or similar values for cheekbone distance and the length of the face. Additionally, round faces typically have larger sizes for both cheekbones and face length than for forehead width and jawline.
Square faces are, quite simply, faces with equal or similar sizes for all face measurements.
Diamond faces have greater sizes for face height than for any other measurement. Moreover, the jawline measurement is smaller than the distance between cheekbones. There's also a more pointed chin.
Heart-shaped faces have foreheads with measurements greater than both the distance between cheekbones and the jawline. The chin is pointed, too.
Oval faces have face heights greater than the distance between cheekbones. Additionally, the forehead measurement is greater than the jawline, which is more rounded than angular.
Best Sunglasses for Round Faces: What to Look For
If you want the best sunglasses for round faces, what, exactly, should you be looking for?
When looking for the best sunglasses for round faces, set your sights on shades with rectangular or angular frames. Additionally, browline frames, upswept frames, and dark-, bold-colored, or patterned frames are ideal for round faces.
As shown in the image above, rectangular sunglasses are glasses with rectangle-shaped frames. Whether seen from a distance or up close, rectangular frames are very angular. This type of frame also offers a nice contrast to a round face.
With browline frames, there’s usually a continuous, unbroken line extending along the tops of both sides. The line runs just beneath and parallels the line created by your eyebrows. The bold geometric line of a browline frame offsets the organic lines of a round face.
Upswept frames are sometimes similar to browline frames with an unbroken, continuous line along both sides of the top of the glasses. However, upswept frames — also commonly called “cat-eye frames” — tend to curve upward at the outside corners. This shape tends to pair nicely with the curves of a round face while still offering some geometric contrast.
Dark or bold colors and patterns
Color is another great feature to look for when shopping for the best sunglasses for round faces. Dark colors, bold colors, and patterns emphasize the angles of sunglasses with rectangular, browline, and upswept frames.
Worst Sunglasses for Round Faces: What to Avoid
Since not all sunglasses are ideal for rounder face shapes, there are certain things you want to avoid. In particular, you should avoid round glasses and small glasses when shopping for the best sunglasses for round faces.
- Round glasses
- Small glasses
When glasses with round frames are paired with a round face, the shape of each frame mimics the shape of the overall face. The effect is that it enhances the face’s roundness, which is avoidable with more angular glasses.
Sunglasses with extremely small lenses make a round face appear to be bigger than it might actually be. Due to the fullness of the face, there’s simply more space around each of the lenses.
- 10 of the Best Sunglasses for Round Faces -
To aid with selecting the best sunglasses for round faces, we’ve compiled a list of highly-rated options that you can buy today. These ten options cover a range of styles that work for round faces. Additionally, there are options for both men and women as well as at different price points.
- 100% UV PROTECTION: To protect your eyes from harmful UV rays, these New Wayfarer sunglasses are polarized and coated with 100% UV protection. The 52 mm lenses are durable and polarized. Shape: Square; Size lens-bridge: 52" 18"; Temple Length: 145
- POLARIZED SUNGLASSES: The Ray-Ban New Wayfarer sunglasses feature the legendary Ray-Ban polarized lenses that improve clarity and contrast, while reducing glare and eye-strain. Made from high-quality scratch-resistant glass.
- UNISEX RAY-BAN SUNGLASSES: The classic Ray-Ban Wayfarer is a fashionable, comfortable, and strong pair of Ray-Ban sunglasses made for both men and women. The combination of the durable plastic frame with crystal green glass lenses is legendary.
- DURABLE ACETATE FRAMES: Ray-Ban unisex polarized sunglasses are exceptionally durable. The frame is made from lightweight and strong acetate. The bridge measures 18 mm, and the arms are 145 mm for an easy, comfortable fit.
- MULTIPLE SIZE OPTIONS: Choose from a variety of size options including 52mm, 55mm or 58mm.
Ray-Ban Wayfarers, which are both iconic and well-suited to round face shapes, are currently available in two forms: Original Wayfarers and New Wayfarers. The primary difference is that Original Wayfarers are a bit larger with slightly more exaggerated angles.
The main drawback to Ray-Ban Wayfarers is the price. Ray-Ban Wayfarers are routinely praised for their comfort, iconic design, and build quality. However, some users have complained about Amazon’s quality control. Specifically, a number of 1-star reviews claim to have received fake Ray-Ban Wayfarers although Amazon does offer buyer protection if this were to happen.
- Made from SUPERIOR CLARITY & SCRATCH-RESISTANT Lightwave Glass
- 100% polarization kills reflected glare and reduces eye strain; Prescription Ready
- Encapsulated Mirrors (Between Layers Of Glass) Are Scratch-Proof; 20% Thinner And 22% Lighter Than Average Polarized Glass
- Built by hand and backed for life. Every pair of Costas include a lifetime warranty
- Includes hard case & Integral hinge; Made in the USA
Costa Del Mark is a brand increasingly known for craftsmanship. The company’s Blackfin sunglasses are no exception. The Costa Del Mar Blackfin sunglasses have been lauded for their sturdy yet lightweight build.
- Oakley Plutonite Lenses offer 100% UV Protection filtering of all UVA, UVB, UVC and harmful blue light up to 400mm. Oakley’s lightweight Plutonite lens material offers superior comfort, clarity & protection against impact and ultraviolet radiation.
- Patented High Definition Optics (HDO) provides superior optical clarity and razor-sharp vision at every angle.
- O Matter stress-resistant frame is lightweight & durable for all-day comfort & protection. Oakley’s injection molded thermoplastic O-Matter frame provides improved strength & flexibility over traditional acetate & is built to withstand shifting or deforming over time.
- Three-Point Fit: Comfort and performance that holds lenses in precise optical alignment. Contact only happens at the bridge of the nose and behind the temples.
- Unobtanium nose pads for increased grip with perspiration to help provide a secure and custom fit.
Oakley continues to be one of the most well-known, recognizable sunglasses brands. Oakley’s Double Edge for Men features a straightforward rectangular black frame that would contrast very nicely with a round face. Oakley Double Edge for Men are praised for offering an outstanding fit and for the clarity of the polarized lenses.
- Multi Tinted Square DESIGN - Return to classic and pursuit of streamlined fashion, Oversized Frame Glasses perfect modification of the face
- FIRST-RATE QUALITY - Light weight glasses with nice high quality resin frame. Superb sunglasses metal hinges
- Lenses Block harmful rays with UV400 Protection. Frame width: 67mm, Frame height: 64mm, Arm: 142mm
- ADAPT TO ALL OCCASIONS - such as walking, driving, shopping, traveling, taking photos, and is suitable as high fashion accessory and daily wear all year round. It is also gift ready , making it a wonderful yet practical gift idea for friends and Family
- FEISEDY is aim to bring you high quality fashion experience in sunshine and nature.
Feisedy has cultivated a following by making fashionable sunglasses that are high in quality and low in cost. Feisedy’s rectangular sunglasses feature a color-blocked, tri-tone design in red, green, and black. Additionally, the sunglasses have glitter in the finish, giving them some texture and added pizzazz.
Feisedy’s rectangular sunglasses have been praised for overall quality and for capitalizing on the trend of oversized sunglasses.
As a mid-tier option, Le Specs Halfmoon Magic sunglasses feature upswept or “cat-eye” frames. Le Specs Halfmoon Magic sunglasses have a timeless, vintage look; however, the clean lines still evoke a modern feel, making them versatile for many styles.
Ralph by Ralph Lauren Cat Eye Sunglasses are a great option if you prefer sunglasses with soft instead of harsh lines. Featuring upswept “cat-eye” frames and only vaguely rectangular lenses, Ralph by Ralph Lauren Cat Eye Sunglasses are available in a number of lens-and-frame color combinations.
Ralph by Ralph Lauren Cat Eye Sunglasses are popular in reviews for offering a great fit for a reasonable price from a trusted brand. Depending on size and color selections as well as availability.
- YOUR PERFECT SHADES: The Reveler will have you feeling like the life of the party. Featuring a key-hole bridge and a classic rectangle frame.
- DO WITH STYLE: Our Reveler is styled to look great on men. The styling will have you reaching for these metal framed glasses every time you head out the door. Reveler features 57mm lens width, a 17mm bridge and a temple arm length of 145mm. These dark grey colored lens are non-polarized and 100% UV protected.
- BUILT FOR OPTIMAL BALANCE, COMFORT, & DURABILITY: Made with custom handmade cellulose acetate and stainless steel. The frame is fastened with Akulon-coated German screws for proper tension and durability.
- DESIGNED IN THE USA- Premium on-trend watches, sunglasses, and accessories, designed at our headquarters in Los Angeles.
- TWO YEAR GUARANTEE- We’re so confident you’ll love what we do that we offer a two-year guarantee on everything we make
MVMT gained a cult followed by making stylish watches before eventually designing and producing sunglasses. Known for having a finger to the pulse of millennial men's style, MVMT’s Reveler for Men capitalizes on the popularity of the “Wayfarer” with a similarly rectangular frame.
The MVMT Reveler for Men was released in 2018 and has been praised for offering impeccable style for an affordable price.
- UV400 impact resistant lenses, 100% UVA and UVB for your daily eye protection.
- EYE HEALTH - Reading Sunglasses help you preserve your eye health by reducing eye strain and fatigue.
- COST SAVINGS - Because you'll no longer need multiple pairs of glasses, full reader sunglasses save you money.
- EASE OF USE - Sun Readers are convenient. It's just that simple. No longer will you need to carry multiple pairs of glasses around with you.
- Reinforced spring hinges for maximum flexibility and comfort.
Mass Vision’s “The Intellect” sunglasses are a combination of sunglasses and reading glasses. They give anyone needing magnified sunglass lenses a stylish option.
As a wayfarer-esque design with browline frame, “The Intellect” is as trendy as it is versatile. In fact, “The Intellect” comes in two color options — black and tortoise — with magnification options spanning from 1.0x to 4.0x.
Mass Vision’s “The Intellect” are widely beloved by its buyers. Many reviewers cite comfort and practical versatility as the main selling features.
Prada’s Metal-Bridge Sunglasses are a great option if you’re looking to invest in a high-end pair of sunglasses that will perfectly complement a round face. The sunglasses are named for the metal bridge that connects the two independent lenses in lieu of being wrapped by a single continuous frame.
Featuring a “cat-eye” upswept frame, the Metal-Bridge Sunglasses by Prada have exaggerated angles that evoke 1950s futurism. These sunglasses ship in a signature Prada sunglasses box with a high-quality Prada carrying case and a certificate of authenticity.
As the second pair of Oakley sunglasses on the list, the Oakley Frogskins Wayfarer is another wayfarer-esque design; however, the Frogskins Wayfarer brings a selection of bold colors and patterns to the design. The Oakley Frogskins Wayfarer for Men are great for standing out from the crowd. Additionally, reviewers praise the sunglasses for being very durable.
When the Sunglasses Fit, Wear Them!
There's no such thing as a single pair of sunglasses that's perfect for every single face shape. However, the fact that different styles of sunglasses look better on some faces than others is what makes shopping for shades so fun.
Now that you know what to look for as you shop for the best sunglasses for round faces, it’s time to put what you’ve learned into practice. With your newfound expertise, you’ll be rocking cat-eyes, wayfarers, and browline frames in no time.
Do you have a round face? What shades do you think are the best sunglasses for round faces? Leave us a comment and let us know!